SellFree’s first priority is to ensure that our community remains safe for all members. We don’t allow the sale of anything illegal or dangerous. We also prohibit certain items at the request of our community. If we feel you’ve posted a banned item, we’ll ask you to take it down or remove it ourselves.
The list (Non-exhaustive) below details what can’t be posted on SellFree, in alphabetical order:
- Adult toys or other erotic products
- Adverts for sexual services are not accepted.
- Adverts for escort services are not accepted.
- R18 classified videos or DVDs may not be advertised.
- Non BBFC classified videos or DVDs may not be advertised.
- If your feel your advertisement has been declined by us incorrectly, please provide us with the film’s BBFC classification reference.
For more information see:
Law relating to R18 films
BBFC online search facility
- We do not accept adverts of alcohol.
We have a separate policy on selling and buying animals at sellfree.net which can be found here.
Botox and Dermal Fillers
- Including related equipment and services
- MLM schemes that generate income solely through recruiting new members may not be advertised.
- Adverts for business opportunities must state clearly the product or service to be sold, whether any up front payment is required and whether the work involves the recruitment of further people to the opportunity.
Cigarettes, cigars and related products
- Loose tobacco
- Electronic cigarette filters and e-liquids (with or without nicotine)
Note: Electronic cigarettes themselves and rolling papers are allowed
- Copies or backups of software and games may not be advertised. Games machines that have been chipped or otherwise modified to allow copied games to be played may not be advertised.
- Items that exist only in electronic format (software without original media, eBooks etc.) may not be sold without written permission from the copyright holder.
- Ads for products described as knock off, replica, imitation, clove, faux, fake, mirror image, or similar terms when referring to a brand name in attempt to pass themselves off as genuine products of the brand owner
- Ads for non-genuine products that mimic brand features in an attempt t pass themselves off as genuine product e.g. non-authentic products that have brand name labels or logos
Cream chargers (where not explicitly for catering use)
Drugs and prescription goods
- Ads for substances that alter mental state for the purpose of recreation or otherwise induce “highs” e.g., cocaine, crystal meth, heroin and other illegal opioids, marijuana, cocaine substitutes, mephedrone, “legal highs”
- Ads for products or services marketed as facilitating recreational drugs use e.g., pipes, bongs, cannabis shops
- Ads for instructional content about producing, purchasing, or using recreational drugs e.g., forums to exchange tips or recommendations on drug use
- Domain names
- FIFA coins
- Online accounts
- Virtual merchandise, including in-game currencies or items
- Virtual currencies (e.g., Bitcoin, Litecoin, etc.)
Note: Asking to be paid for an item or service in a virtual currency is allowed, but the currency itself cannot be sold directly.
- Any other digital products
- Vouchers and Gift Cards
- Products that are designed to explode and could damage to nearby people or property e.g., nail bomb, chemical bomb, firecrackers, grenades.
- Any instructional content about the assembly, enhancement, or acquisition of explosive items e.g., bomb-making sites, guides, software, or equipment for 3D printing of parts if grenades.
Fake, replica, or unauthorised trademark items
- Businesses advertising consumer loans, credit cards or other services covered under the Consumer Credit Act should be licensed with the Office of Fair Trading and comply with the regulations laid down in the act.
For more information see: Consumer Credit Act – Credit Advertising
Firearms, ammunition and equipment (even if they’re legal to buy)
- Guns, including air guns, BB guns, replica guns, and paintball guns
- Ammunition, including ammo for paintball
Note: Paintball equipment not related to the gun (goggles, gloves etc.) are allowed
Note: Scopes, straps, and gun cabinets are allowed
Fireworks (of any kind)
Food and Other perishable goods
- Anything with an expiration date
Gas and electric meter seals
Hate organisations of any kind
Human parts, remains, or services
- Blood, bone, and waste
- Donor, surrogacy, and fertility services
- Sperm and eggs
- Used pregnancy tests
Ads that display shocking content or promote hatred, intolerance, discrimination or violence
Items promoting hate, discrimination, or stereotypes of a particular group of people
- Adverts using or obscene or racist language are not allowed.
- We only accept advertisements for lingerie and underwear that is new and unworn.
Massage & Therapy
- Those people offering massage, therapy or counselling services must have a valid insurance policy covering public liability and professional indemnity.
Medical Grade PPE
Any type of edible medicine ad is not allowed on our website.
- You should personally own the item or provide the service you are selling (except agents selling or renting property or brokers selling vehicles).
- If the item is new, you should have it in stock. We do not accept adverts for items that are to be ‘drop shipped’.
- We do not accept adverts for items or services where the advertiser earns a commission through a third party affiliate program.
Tip: If you’d like to give your pass to someone else, get in touch with your council
Personal information or mailing lists
- Bulk emails, Internet Protocol (IP), instant messenger (IM), or mailing lists that contain names, addresses, phone numbers, or other personal info
- Tools or software designed to send spam
Premium Rate Telephone Services
- Adverts for telephone chat lines and other premium rate services should comply to guidelines set out by the ICSTIS. In particular, they must make clear how much will be charged for the call.
- Advertisers using personal numbers beginning 070 should make clear how much will be charged for the call.
Requests for Money
- We can not accept adverts requesting money unless placed by a registered charity. If you are a registered charity, please contact us, quoting your registration number.
- Ads that potentially profit from or exploit a sensitive event with significant social, cultural, or political impact, such as civil emergencies, natural disasters, public health emergencies, terrorism and related activities, conflict, or mass acts of violence
- Ads that claim victims of a sensitive event were responsible for their own tragedy or similar instances of victim blaming
- Ads that claim victims of a sensitive event are not deserving of remedy or support
Security tag removal items
- This includes blocked phones or no-signal phones
- Including supplements that contain DMAA
Tickets not intended for resale. Including, but not limited to:
- Cricket World Cup Tickets. For more information on how to sell Cricket World Cup tickets, please read ICC’s website.
- Football tickets. Including:
- FIFA and UEFA International fixtures
- Tickets to England, Scotland, and Wales national team matches
- Tickets to all professional matches in England, Scotland, and Wales
- Get in touch with the FA or your club to find out how to exchange tickets.
- Glastonbury tickets
- The Open Golf Championship tickets
- Train and bus tickets.
Note: Coach tickets are allowed.
- Ads for tobacco or any products containing tobacco e.g., cigarettes, cigars, snus, chewing tobacco, rolling tobacco, pipe tobacco
- Ads for products that form a component part of a tobacco product, as well as products and services that directly facilitate or promote tobacco consumption e.g., rolling pipes, tobacco filters, hookah lounges, cigar bars
- Ads for products designed to simulate tobacco smoking e.g., herbal cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, e-cigarettes
Unlocked hardware and software
- Copied games, DVDs, and computer software
- Fully loaded Kodi, Android, and Amazon boxes
- Games consoles
- R4 cards (with or without the console)
Unlocking software (software that unlocks any electronic item, like a phone)
- Briefs, knickers, thongs, boxer shorts, nappies, and so on
- Devices designed to detect radar may not be advertised.
- Devices or software designed to decode radio security devices may not be advertised.
- It’s illegal to buy or sell votes in the UK
Weapons and knives
- We do not accept adverts for any guns or other firearms.
- We also do not accept adverts for deactivated firearms, replica firearms, or any firearm accessories.
- Historical and ornamental weapons (like Samurai swords and bayonets)
- Spear guns
- Advertisements for crossbows and archery sets are not accepted.
- Adverts for any kind of knives are not accepted.
For more information see: Knives Act 1997
Please Note: While this list is intended to be thorough, we reserve the right to remove any and all content that we feel is inappropriate for SellFree or that interferes with the well-being of the community.
This list was last revised on 19th July 2020.